As we heard earlier Samsung Galaxy S3 will come with Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box and Samsung Galaxy S2 will get official ICS build with TouchWiz sometime in March there are still many people who don’t like to wait and want to install Android 4.0 on Galaxy S2 right away so I wrote short tutorial.
While Ice Cream Sandwich firmware’s for Samsung Galaxy S2 numbered XXKP8, XXKPA, XXLP2 were unstable, had many capability issues and were far from usable on daily bases the latest XXLPH ICS firmware fixes these problems and adds many improvements to UI.
I recently installed Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Galaxy S2 and so far I was impressed with this custom firmware so I decided to share simple tutorial so everyone can get ICS powered Galaxy S2.
Please not that this is not official firmware from Samsung called TouchWiz but it’s modified Ice Cream Sandwich version developed for inpatient Samsung Galaxy S2 owners and those who want to get the latest while they are not satisfied with TouchWiz UI which delays all Android updates.
Don’t use this Ice Cream Sandwich firmware with any other phone than just Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100), otherwise you risk to brick your device. If you do apply it to any other phone then don’t say we didn’t warn you!
To get started with how to install Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Galaxy S2 first I would like to present improvements in latest XXLPH firmware:
- Improved 3D-like menu scrolling
- Improved battery life
- Faster than early builds
- Overall it looks smooth and works without noticeable issues
Before you start installation ICS process you must take fallowing steps:
- Backup your files using ASTRO File Manager, Titanium backup or any other backup tool
- Back up all contacts to SD Card.
- Make sure you have Samsung KIES installed.
- Disable Antivirus and other security and encryption apps
- Enable USB Debugging by Settings->Applications->Development and ensure that “USB Debugging” is checked.
If you have done all steps mentioned bellow you can process with ICS installation for your Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100):
- Download XXLPH Firmware
- Extract files to a separate folder on your PC.
- Download Latest Odin if you don’t have it already
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot your phone into Download Mode. To do this, press the Volume Down button and Center button. While you press both, simultaneously press the power button and your phone will enter into download mode.
- Open Odin on your computer.
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB. Odin should automatically detect your device and Yellow box ‘COM’ should appear. Please Note: Don’t proceed to the next step unless it doesn’t turn yellow!
- Make sure “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” is checked in Odin.
- In Odin, click on the buttons given below and the files written adjacent to them:
PDA: I9100_CODE_I9100XXLPH_CL118559_REV02_user_low_ship.tarPHONE: MODEM_I9100XXLPH_REV_02_CL1104396.tarCSC: GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXALPH.tarBootloader: I9100_APBOOT_I9100XXLPH_CL118559_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
Finally, click Start button and pray that everything will work with first attempt. If it doesn’t, take out battery and place it back and start the whole process from very beginning
Installing ICS firmware on Samsung Galaxy S2 is simple and should work on first attempt however if it doesn’t you can leave a comments bellow and I will try to help with some more tips.
Please let me know how you like this Ice Cream Sandwich modification on your Galaxy S2?