How to install latest and greatest version of VLC media player in Ubuntu 12.04.
VLC is a free, open-source multimedia player and framework that plays most if not all multimedia files including various streaming protocols. If VLC player can’t play it, nothing can.
VLC is widely known and used to watch movies and other files that can’t be opened in simpler media players like Windows Media Player, iTunes and others. It can play video files from archived folders and much more that no other media player is capable of.
What’s new in VLC 2.0.2 “Twoflower”?
- Improved playback on older platforms
- Faster decoding on multi-core, GPU, and mobile devices
- Support for more media formats including HD and 10bits codecs
- Hundreds of bug fixed
- Support for H264 v4l2 devices on Linux
- Translations updates and new Scottish Gaelic translation
- Fixes for splitted RAR, MKV segmented, mp4 and Real media files playback.
- Enhancements in HLS, Blu-Ray and various codecs support
- Fixes for subtitles auto-detection
- Fixes on Qt, skins2 and web interfaces
More about VLC 2.0.2 you can find on its official release notes.
There are many different methods on how to install VLC in Ubuntu 12.04 but I will show you three different ones that you can use to install other apps as well.
Method 1: (Using only terminal)
To install VLC on Ubuntu open terminal from Ubuntu “dash home” or press Ctrl+Alt+T and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
After this command you will see notification like this, just press “Enter” to confirm.
Now type or copy the fallowing commands:
You will be prompted to install VLC, just type “y” and hit “Enter”
After installation is completed you can start VLC media player
Open VLC official website: www.videolan.org on your web browser and hit “Download VLC” button.
Now you will be prompted to choose a “Launch Application”. Choose “Ubuntu Software Center” and hit ok.
Once Ubuntu Software Center is opened hit Install button and watch how the magic happens.
Open “Ubuntu Software Center” from Ubuntu “dash home”.
Now search for “VLC”, “VLC Player”, or “VLC Media Player”
And hit install.
Now you have VLC Media Player installed on your Ubuntu 12.04 powered machine.