Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade coming to Samsung Galaxy Tabs 10.1, 8.9, 7.7 and 7.0 Plus devices as soon as in July.
We can clearly see that tablets are not a priority for Samsung and they are not selling well either. Samsung last year’s tablets are still running Android Honeycomb on only second generation tablets are running Ice Cream Sandwich. This is about to change as Samsung has announced plans to upgrade Samsung Galaxy Tabs 10.1, 8.9, 7.7 and 7.0 Plus to latest and greatest Android version.
It took over 8 months for Samsung to add TouchWiz interface to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and make it available for its Galaxy Tabs. Like I said, Samsung doesn’t care about tablets as much as it cares about Galaxy series smartphones. Everything is about resources and Samsung can’t afford to just hire developers to create software updates for products that only few people buy. While Samsung is postponing updates it is still better than Apple which announced that iOS 6 will no longer support many popular devices.
Sorry for going off-topic but I have too much to say about their business model and how they treat customers. Since we are not back on the same page I wanted to share the list of devices that will receive official upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich:
- GT-P6210 Galaxy Tab Plus 7.0 WIFI
- GT-P6200 Galaxy Tab Plus 7.0 WIFI + 3G
- GT-P6810 Galaxy Tab 7.7 WIFI
- GT-P6800 Galaxy Tab 7.7 WIFI + 3G
- GT-P7310 Galaxy Tab 8.9 WIFI
- GT-P7300 Galaxy Tab 8.9 WIFI + 3G
- GT-P7510 Galaxy Tab 10.1 WIFI
- GT-P7500 Galaxy Tab 10.1 WIFI + 3G
Recently a good friend of mine received GT-P6210 Galaxy Tab Plus 7.0 as gift from Samsung Electronics so I have did some testing and review will follow soon and will write comparison between Amazon Kindle Fire which is its direct competitor.
Here is a quick reminder what makes Ice Cream Sandwich a must have upgrade for all Android and especially Samsung tablet users:
- Cleaner UI and New icons (Samsung will make its own design so hard to say how much it will be changed)
- Resizable widgets
- Improved folder system
- New lock screen actions
- Face unlock
- Improved text input and spell-checking
- Powerful voice input engine
- Control over network data with new app
- Better camera
- Live Effects for transforming video
- Improved web browser and Chrome browser support
These are only few updates you will notice after an upgrade so let’s hope that Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for Galaxy Tabs won’t be postponed again.
Will let you know once Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade will be available for above mentioned Samsung tablets but you can expect them to arrive sometime in July.