If your iPhone home button is not working in most cases you just need to calibrate it and here is how you can get it done.
If you are reading this article there is a good chance that your iPhone home button is not working properly and you are looking how to fix it. Sometimes iPhone home button becomes sluggish and less responsive. This result in a delay, lag, or sometimes it doesn’t work at all and requires multiple pushes. This could be hardware related issue if you have dropped your phone or you like to show your strength by pushing button very hard but this isn’t the case most of the time.
The iPhone home buttons can become unresponsive due to faulty software or hardware but the second one does not occur too often. If it is hardware related problem then you should visit Apple Store to get your iPhone fixed and unless you have insurance on top of the standard warranty you will have to pay to fix it.
If this is a software related problem then you don’t have anything to worry about and you can try to fix it with simple trick (It’s hard to call it a tutorial when it’s so easy!).
- Turn of the iPhone completely and the turn it back on.
- Open any default application (Stocks, Weather, Calculator, etc) on the iPhone
- Press and hold the Power button (I hope you know where to find it 🙂 ) till the “Slide to Power Off” dialog appears, then release the Power button
- Now press and hold the Home button (the one that is not working) until the “Slide to Power Off” dialog disappears. Congratulations you just recalibrate the iPhone home button.
- Test the iPhone home button
There is no perfect explanation why this trick helps but it’s worth to give it a try.
If this doesn’t help I would suggest you to restore iPhone and try to use it completely clean without any apps and files installed. You can do it by connecting the iPhone to computer via USB cable and opening iTunes and then going to Devices section.
The iPhone home button still not working?
You are screwed! This is hardware related problem and unless you have degree in engineering I would suggest you to visit Apple retail store.
In case your iPhone home button is not working and now you know that it is hardware related issue and paying Apple to fix it doesn’t sound appealing you can use iOS feature named Assistive Touch. This feature allows you to create workaround if your iPhone home button is broken completely or works only in one out of 5 times.
How to enable Assistive Touch?
- Go to Setting -> General -> Accessibility. Scroll down till you find AssistiveTouch option. Open it and turn it ON.
- Then you will see transparent button at the bottom right corner of the screen. Tap on that button and you will see full touch menu on your screen.
- There you will see different options and Home button between them. The onscreen Home button will work just like a physical one.
While it’s not the best way to fix broken iPhone home button but it sure will work in any situation.
If you have better solution for “iPhone Home button not working” problem, please leave a comment bellow to help others who struggle with this problem.
This solution works for iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C and even for the old iPhone 3GS but I haven’t tested it personally.